Sports Premium funding is allocated so that schools are able to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of physical education (PE), physical activity and sport that are offered.
The premium should be used to:
- develop or add to the existing PE, physical activity and sport activities that is offered in school
- build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements that are made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years.
Schools can use the premium to secure improvements in the following ways:
- to ensure the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- to raise the profile of PE and sport across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- to increase the confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- to broaden the range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- to increase participation in competitive sport